February 17, 2018 Saturday - UNC Charlotte Region 6 NC Science and Engineering Fair.
Schools and Individuals
Region 6 Science and Engineering Fair Participating Students.
Friday, February 16, 2018, Onsite Project Setup Mandatory (6:00 pm - 9:00 pm) Cone Center Campus Map. Park in the Cone Visitors Deck. Parking cost is $1.00 per half hour.
Location: Cone Center ELEMENTARY -After Hours Room: Cone Center JUNIOR (MIDDLE) - Lucas Room & Breezeway: Cone Center SENIOR - Cone Rooms 112 and 111
- Onsite Project Setup Required for All Participants and includes a Display & Safety Check during project setup.
- Bring Exhibit Board and copies of all paperwork. Do not bring originals of paperwork.
- An Abstract is required for each Exhibit Board and must be posted vertically on the Exhibit table. Do not include the abstract on the Exhibit Board.
Saturday, February 17, 2018 Science & Engineering Fair, Cone Center Campus Map
- 9:15 am Opening Ceremony, McKnight Auditorium, Cone Center
- 9:45 am to 11:45 am Projects Judging, AfterHours Room, Cone Center
- 12 Noon to 12:45 pm Viewing of Projects by Public, Teachers, Parents, Students
- 12:45 pm to 1:15 pm Exhibit Boards pick up
- 1:30 pm Awards Ceremony, McKnight Auditorium, Cone Center
- 9:45 am Opening Ceremony, McKnight Auditorium, Cone Center
- 10:00 am to 12:30 pm Projects Judging Juniors/Middle - Lucas Room and Seniors -Rooms 112 and 111
- 12:45 pm - 2:00 pm Viewing of Projects by Public, Teachers, Parents, Students
- 2:00 pm to 3:15 pm Exhibit Boards pick up
- 3:15 pm Awards Ceremony, McKnight Auditorium, Cone Center
All participants must set-up their project boards on Friday, February 16, 2018 at UNC Charlotte Cone Center. Campus Map. Project Board setup will begin at 6:00 pm through 9:00 pm or until all projects are setup. If you would like to minimize a wait in line come to check-in later than earlier.
Bring copies (keep originals) of your Research Plan, all ISEF Forms, Abstract and UNC Charlotte Permission Slip to mandatory project setup on February 16, 2018. At a minimum, an Abstract must be posted vertically at the Project/Exhibit Board table for all projects. Do not include an abstract on your Exhibit Board.
Each Project Board must be inspected for Display & Safety Rules before you leave the mandatory project setup on February 16, 2018. We will provide LIMITED supplies to make small changes to the Project Board if required.
- Do NOT bring any items that are not allowed at Project or in Booth no exceptions. - Click here for rules. Include Photographs of these items.
- All Charts, Graphs, Images, and Photos MUST be credited.
Display of photographs other than that of the finalist must have a photo release signed by the subject, and if under 18 years of age, also by the guardian of the subject. Sample consent text: “I consent to the use of visual images (photos, videos, etc.) involving my participation in this research.” (These forms must be available upon request by a Display & Safety Inspector, but shall not be displayed.)
- Research Institution Form (1C), and Continuation Projects Form (7), if applicable, MUST be vertically displayed.
- Human consent/release forms, if applicable, MUST be available at the Project table.
- Project log book/Project Report is optional and can be available at the Project table.
Importance of Research Plan
Prior to experimentation all students must submit a Research Plan (a research plan is not a research report/paper) to your teacher/adult supervisor or if you require pre-approval by the ISEF SRC (send to firstname.lastname@example.org) because your project involves human subjects (including the student), vertebrates (including your own pets), potentially hazardous biological agents (NO projects allowed at home any age and NO elementary students may conduct these experiments in NC), or hazardous materials or risky behavior. The Research Plan should include:
A. Question or problem being addressed
B. Hypothesis or Engineering Goals
C. Detailed description of the following:
- Procedures: Detail all procedures and experimental design including methods for data collection. Describe only your project. Do not include work done by mentor or others.
- Risk and Safety: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions needed.
- Data Analysis: Describe the procedures you will use to analyze the data/results.
D. Bibliography – minimal 3 for Elementary and 5 for Junior and Senior
Please note that data is not to be included in the Research Plan.
Other Important Information
- The Research Plan is not a form but needs to be included with all paperwork. This is used for the Scientific Review Committee (SRC) to assess if all ISEF rules and regulations are followed.
- No Elementary students can do projects involving culturing micro- organisms (bacteria, mold, fungus, etc.) in any location (school, home, or regulated institution) no exceptions. - Click here for rules.
- No Junior (Middle) or Senior students can do projects involving culturing micro- organisms at home no exceptions. - Click here for rules
You must register online and submit all required forms to be registered for the 2018 UNC Charlotte Region 6 NC Science & Engineering Fair by Deadline January 19, 2018.